Thursday, March 22, 2007

So this is for real...?

I just read your blog and after a week of being in provo with rio, french toast at kneader's, and ZERO Rona time, I must say I am getting worried. I passed on spin more than once to catch up with friends over breakfast and I can't say skiing was too much of a workout either. I did manage to fit in a run on a very hot afternoon up there-- I didn't track my mileage but based on time and previous routes, I am guessing it was ~3.5 miles? And even that was a struggle (that MTC hill gets me every time!!). Then I run into beautiful Tessa on campus and find that she had been to Rona just that morning! Oh, the guilt is definitely settling in.

So I am back in San Antonio now and definitely need to get serious. I promised that I would start the pool when I got back so I guess today is the day. I need you here! I am thinking I will try to run a few miles and then go for a half hour in the pool. The good news is I just read an article about training and they said 1-2 times per week for biking is fine, run/swim about 3x per week. I definitely think you are doing more than that! Here is the article...it made me feel better.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/sprint%20programs.htm

Onto our next dilemma (as if being out of shape isn't enough?!)-- wetsuits and gear. I was reading about wetsuits and I need to make sure that they are made of this special material so that we have movement in the shoulder. Everyone definitely recommends wearing one though-- helps with speed, bumps and bruises, and will help us to glide (rather than sink) in the water. Also, my friend recommended we use road bikes. Much quicker and easier- but if we don't have them then we make do. I am going to start asking around and checking ebay. Here is a list of gear we will need on race day- I think a lot of it is unnecessary but it gives us a general idea.


-GENERAL STUFF - Race directions, registration materials, energy bars, power gel, food, warm-up suit, swim shoes/moccasins, shoe horn, waterproof watch, magic marker, glasses, sun glasses, sunscreen, safety pins, plastic bags, towels, water bottles, number belt, keys/money pouch/belt, post race clothing, alarm clock and first-aid kit..

-SWIM - Swimsuit, cap, goggles, anti-fog solution (rubbed spit works well - no joke!), wet suit (if cold).

-BIKE - Bicycle, front wheel, bicycle pump (full size and frame size), water bottles, seat bag w/spare tube, bike computer, bike shoes and gloves, bike helmet, bike shirt, shorts, liner shorts, socks, windshell; long-sleeve bike shirt, tights, tools.

-RUN - Singlet, T-shirt, shorts, running socks, cap, sweatband, running shoes, orthotics, windshell; long-sleeve T-shirt.

Ok ok, I will stop trying to change the subject and get to the gym. Good luck to you! Call me soon because there is still much to discuss ;)

Tara

1 comment:

taryn said...

This makes me nervous. I have about two things on that entire list! This is either going to be very makeshift...or VERY expensive. ahh!