Tuesday, March 27, 2007

9 weeks. minus 2 days.

I looove your tips! So helpful! haha, yeah- why do they assume it is only men reading the article? Unless you got it out of Men's Health magazine...oh.

I read an article once that if you could think of how you felt at or after going to the gym at the time your alarm goes off in the morning, you will be more likely to go. That definitely applies to me! I am just in automatic now where working out is the focus of my day- not merely an option if I run out of things to do and shows to watch. After Saturday's awful run, I definitely feel back on track this week. Here is what I have done so far...

MONDAY: It was POURING rain outside!! So much that I could have swam down the street to the gym! Monday AND sleepy/stay in bed weather?? Just driving to the gym was an accomplishment.

I swam for ~30 minutes and actually counted my laps! I did 40 laps or 1,000 meters, only stopping for a minute at the 20 lap mark. (I prob would have stopped for longer but the guy in the next lane was creepin' me out!!). I must admit the swimming felt good. MUCH better than trying to get in the pool in the dead of winter in Utah. Sorry you are still dealing with the cold. I broke it down into sets of 5, doing 4 laps freestyle and the 5th lap breaststroke. I will admit I was pretty slow so for the last 20 laps I tried to speed up my 1st and 4th laps.

Next was spin. I seem to be on automatic in those classes. Do you ever get through a whole song of jumps or a hill and realize that you have basically blacked out for the past 5 minutes? I should probably concentrate more. All I could think about in spin today were t-shirt designs for Team Tar! (no kidding.)

TUESDAY: After trying on bathing suits and eating at Nordstrom Cafe (yum!!) I knew the gym was a must. I didn't plan very well though and was definitely still feeling my Nicoise Salmon Salad! I did 2 miles on the treadmill before heading to spin with my favorite teacher. She was definitely on a roll and I swear we sprinted the whole thing! I kept thinking we were slowing down and then she would tell us to pick it back up! I was so confused.

After spin I was wiped. The spin teacher does a Body Pump class right after but I couldn't stand the thought of A. lifting anything and B. staying at the gym for another hour! So I opted for the lesser of two evils and hit up ther treadmill for another 2 miles.

I need some aleve.

So tip number one was to drink caffeine just as I was coming to tell you that I am cutting out DC and all carbonated beverages until our race! eek! I know. I figure with all of the working out we are doing, I probably don't drink enough water as it is. Plus I am out of DC so I guess it is as good a time as any. Race night is going to be a yummy pasta dinner and diet coke!! Until then, fruit punch crystal light is going to be my obsession.

Tomorrow I am going to hit up the pool again and try for a long swim (45-60 min?) then lift some since my weights schedule has been less than ideal. My poor joints need a break.

Last item to note: Losing 3 pounds after a workout just means I am dehydrated??!! dangit...

-Tara

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey ladies- though I would check in on your progress, I hear a little about it from Taryn now and then. You are both so motivated it is great.

My husband and I were talking about what a great place to do a triathlon Austin is. Town lake, the Hill Country- gorgeous! I hope during the race you will be able to soak in the setting (is that possible?). I am so tempted to come watch (my husband will be down there visiting some family) but I can't get work off. You guys need to schedule some time after the race for playing in Austin- they have the best restaurants. Anyhow, that is my two cents!

Good luck to you both

Morgan said...

Hey Team Tar! You guys don't know me. Taryn, your sister Tessa is my soon to be sister in law. I am married to Nate, Duffy's brother. Anywho...I am training for a marathon so can definately relate to your training woes. But a tip for the swimming, if you are worried about your hair, you may have already thought of this, but just incase you haven't: wear a swim cap. I know they are a little scary looking, but they will for sure save your hair! Happy training!

Lauren said...

so funny that I read the entire blog post not knowing if it was taryn or tara writing. That is the official sign your team is 'one'. :)

Who is helping you design your shirt???????? Do you need help? and, can I get one?