Thursday, March 22, 2007

Am I getting anywhere?

I've got it all wrong! I'm spending all my time in spin class and not in the pool. How much time did it say we should be riding bikes outside? I'm not doing that either.

I did somehow muster the strength to hit the gym for round two last night...to make up for Monday. I was debating on whether to spin and run or run and lift and decided to go to at least part of a spin class and run afterward while Mike was working out with his gym buddy. Things worked out perfectly, as we had a sub in spin class (and she was horrible!) I didn't feel the least bit bad bailing after 30 minutes. Then I ran a little bit (no 3.5 miles, but I'm getting there) and then did some strength training.

In my research on swimming techinique, I found an alternative workout for the swimmer/triathlete. This is what I did:

Warm-up: Complete on rowing machine:
2 minute warm-up
Hard-easy ladder: 1 hard pull or cycle followed by 1 easy pull or cycle, then 2/2, 3/3, and so on up to 10 hard pulls and 10 easy pulls. Then ladder back down from 10/10 to 1/1.
Finish this station with a 2 minute maximum effort, before moving on to the next station.

I was dying after the ladder...but it also was pretty doable. I mean, mentally it was easier for me to do 10 hard pulls when I new I had 10 easy pulls next. Plus, I ended up being able to work longer on that machine than I normally would've if I had been going all out the entire time. It was a lot less boring working up and down the ladder, that's for sure!

No comments: